Blog module icon

Archives Blog

Oct 30

Silvertown- A Community

Posted on October 30, 2020 at 8:45 AM by Jamesan Gramme


Silvertown A Community Video

Excellent video produced on Silvertown!
Credits:
Music by:
Images courtesy of:
Thomaston-Upson Archives
Owens Library, College of Environment Design, University of Georgia
City of Thomaston, GA
Library of Congress
Georgia Archives
Debbie S Royal, Silvertown Resident, Facebook page
WLA Studio
Sponsors of the Silvertown Historic District: A Community include:
Thomaston Upson Landmark Legacy
Upson Historical Society
Silvertown Historic Preservation Project
Silvertown West Village Association
Production by:
Chris Jackson and Dale Jaeger, WLA Studio, Athens, GA

Sep 16

Update from the Upson Historical Society -September 16, 2020

Posted on September 16, 2020 at 11:26 AM by Jamesan Gramme

Message from the Upson Historical Society:


Due to the continuing impact of Covid-19, the Upson Historical Society will not hold their normally scheduled programs for the duration of 2020. Programs are anticipated to resume at the start of 2021, however please stay tuned for any updates! We apologize for any inconvenience.


Sep 15

Efauemathlaw Reserve

Posted on September 15, 2020 at 1:02 PM by Jamesan Gramme

Did you know Upson once had a dedicated Native American reserve?
In the southwest corner of the county, this one square mile area was set aside for Creek Chief, Efauemathlaw, known locally as Jim Boy. See map for exact location (labeled as Chemollie Reserve.
In October 1941, the local John Houston Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution placed the following marker on Hwy 19 S. at Gordon Rd. Age and deterioration lead to the marker’s current home in the Thomaston-Upson Archives. Marker text below!
Efauemathlaw Reserve
Seven miles west on Flint River is the site of the reserve set aside by the Indian Springs Treaty of 1821 for Efauemathlaw, also known as Tustennuggee Emathla and Jim Boy. This Creek Chief had served under William McIntosh in the First Seminole War 1817-1819 and later commanded under General Jessup a band of warriors in the Indian War of 1836. The one square mile reserve reverted to the State by the Indian Springs Treaty of 1825 and was redistributed in 1836. It is now known as the Hightower Place. 2020-09-10- Efauemathlaw Reserve - 1941-10 Efauemathlaw Reserve Marker placed by the John Houston Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution. October, 1941. Indian Marker Dedication photo Daughters of the American Revolution, National Historical Magazine. April, 1942. Upson map _ Indian Reserve Partial map of Upson county showing reserve location. Labeled as Chemollie Reserve.